Is it worth to watch remakes?

With Netflix's new release of Death Note, I kept wondering if remakes are actually worth watching. Let's be fair, in most cases dramas do follow similar storylines with similar concepts. However, remakes are dramas or movies that are based on one particular storyline.

In many cases, remakes are created in order to adapt to cultural characteristics of the country, break down the language barrier, adapt the story to current times... basically, anything that could make someone say no to watching it.


So is it worth to watch remakes? Based on my experience, it depends on the type of remake. Some are definitely a watch while some are necessary to avoid.

1. Popular Asian drama remade in other Asian countries

This is a popular one for sure! Just think about Full House and Itazura na Kiss. Now the later as we know is one of the biggest franchise that has been firstly adopted from a manga in 1996. Since then we have seen remakes in Korea (Playful Kiss), Thailand (Kiss Me), Taiwan (It started with a kiss 1 & 2, Miss in Kiss) and Japan itself (Itazura na Kiss - Love in Tokyo).

Each of the following adapted the storyline to fit the cultural aspect of the country, and certainly, this is a reason why they are definitely worth watching!! Each adaptation brings something new to the storyline! I watched every single version of Itazura na Kiss, and certainly enjoyed each because the actors adapted the character differently. For example, the cold and loving attitude of the main guy was very different in each version.

I definitely feel that these remakes have their own charm and I would certainly recommend to watch them!


2. Asian movie or drama americanised

Now, this is a remake that I absolutely fear! From my experience, many times when an Asian drama or movie was remade to an American version, it lost all emotions that I felt while watching the story unfold! You know how in an asian drama or movie some stuff that is outrageously ridiculous you just accept it as it is. However, when this is replicated in an american you just cannot cope with it. In a way, it loses its asian touch.

I do have to admit, I did not watch the new Netflix series of Death Note. But I can certainly tell you that I will not. Based on the trailer, it felt that it wasn't even Death Note I was watching. I could not understand why it even needs a remake. The movies from 2006 depict the manga perfectly. As per articles I have read, the character of Light has been absolutely changed which loses the essence of the plot, creating the typical teenage american drama.

And certainly, the remake of Old Boy did not fair with the original Korean version.

So all in all, I try to avoid american because they lose their original touch and incorporate unnecessary elements that avert the original storyline.


3. American movie/series remake 

Now these are remakes I have not come across until Criminal Minds. I'm certain that there are a few out there, but on top of my head, I really can't recall one.

From the one example, Criminal Minds that I am currently watching, I have mixed feelings about this remake in particular. The Korean version took the original storyline, however, has adapted to suit the korean cultural aspects and also changed the backgrounds of the characters which make it confusing if you are a huge fan of the american version! I like that they changed the storyline and added more narrative to the characters, however, I feel that as a remake they should have kept the original story somehow.



Any thought on remakes?


Comments